I have been getting ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR on Google Chrome while browsing popular sites like Facebook, GMail, Google Search, Reddit, Tumblr and Wikipedia. At first, I thought that someone was trying to hack into my WiFi router to sniff into the HTTPS packets. So, I immediately went and performed a hard-reset on my router and took necessary measures to secure it.I hoped that it would solve the SPDY Protocol error since it is directly related to secure browsing. Still, the error didn’t go away. I searched on the web found some solutions but all were temporary fixes i.e. flushing the sockets. The error was so stubborn it kept appearing after every 5 minutes. Then I thought of doing a clean installation of Windows but same issue appeared yet again. Annoying, right? Enough with the rant. Lets come to the real solution.
How to fix ERR_SPDY_PROTOCOL_ERROR in Google Chrome
The problem is apparently caused by Avast Anti-virus Web Shield that is interfering with Google Chrome’s HTTPS protocol. Perform the steps below to fix it.
- Double click Avast icon from the taskbar, click Settings from right top corner (Gear icon)
- Select Active Proection > Web Shield > Click Customize
- Un-check “Enable HTTPS Scanning“
- Press OK to save changes
- Open Google Chrome, Open Clear browsing data dialog (CTRL+SHIFT+DEL)
- Select “from the beginning of time” check everything Cookies, Cache, Passwords etc. and click Clear Browsing Data.
- Restart Google Chrome and your Network/Internet Router.
I hope this solves your problem, If problem persist or you would like to add further information, notify us through the comment section below.